Our World. Our Minutae.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Verizon, AT&T, SBC, & Google – Let’s End the “Free Lunch” For Everyone!

Verizon and SBC/Southwest Bell/Pac Bell/Pacific Telesis/AT&T or whatever they’re called this year has called for an end to “free lunches” on the internet – running out of revenue options (guess that customer service and adding new features, that wasn’t on the table?) and that companies like Google are taking advantage of a “free lunch” on their bandwidth.

So, I guess it’s a two-way street Verizon?

Speaking of streets, how much are you paying to drive on our streets?

Or those “free” right of way poles you string your wires on.

Free lunch ends when yours does, buddy. It’s my street and my property. I don’t have any of your “services” so come and take down your wire running in front on my house since it’s an eyesore and besides, no free lunch for anyone, right?

I have Comcast phone & cable broadband and they have their own wires so feel free to set up a 4-hour window with me to come and take down your wires getting a “free lunch” on my visibility and property.

And while I haven’t polled all my neighbors, if we decide to switch over to all non Bell companies, don’t bother driving on our streets after we make the switch – after all, you wouldn’t want anyone getting a free lunch.

And if we take a step back, when you were a monopoly utility, didn’t WE pay for that wiring and presumably you take tax deductions on that expenditure – you are going to give all that back? (along with that other free lunch – the “regulatory fees” you charge us but aren’t actually regulatory since you pocket them?)

And really, doesn’t the internet belong to WE THE PEOPLE – remember, no free lunches – we’ll get back to you on what the back monthly royalty fees you owe us, WE THE PEOPLE.

I almost forgot, even though I’m not a customer anymore and NEVER EVER intend to spend another dime with you, you keep sending me mail at a DISCOUNTED LOWER BUSINESS RATE than the $.39 I have to pay for each letter. Let’s end that free lunch also.

Be careful of the Pandora box you open.   

9 Comments:

Blogger directorblue said...

I've posted extensively on this topic here. You are right to point out that what the telcos and cable companies are doing is insidious and borderline evil.

They need to be stopped and the best way to do it is to contact their management and Congress.

11:11 AM

 
Blogger Johnathan said...

I also find it irritating that incumbent local exchange carriers (Verizon/MCI, AT&T/SBC, Qwest) claim that a network of copper wires that was built at public expense by monopoly public utilities years ago is somehow "their" private network that they need not let anyone else access.

Now, if they go out today and lay brand new fiber to the home (as Verizon is doing) then I can see that truly being "their" network. As long as anyone else who wants to is also allowed to run fiber or any other technology to provide equivalent services.

One thing I can appreciate about Indiana's recently passed telecom bill is that it does have a "Most Favored Nations" provision - exclusive arrangements between providers of television, telephone, or Internet and residential organizations (apartments, condos, homeowners' associations) have been outlawed. Every competitor wishing to provide services must be allowed equivalent access to wire or otherwise connect a residential unit to their services. However - I hope this provision is actually enforced, and as aggressively as possible.

6:24 PM

 
Anonymous pepa prase igre said...

I'm so excited. I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your excellent work.
bojanke
bojanke za printanje
gledanje u solju

3:00 AM

 
Anonymous kako napraviti web sajt said...

It is very informative. Loved the whole article! Thanks for sharing.

6:14 PM

 
Anonymous cinema arts said...

I want to thank you for this informative read. Loved the whole article! Thanks for sharing.

4:39 AM

 
Anonymous get her to give blowjob said...

Very well written. You got every point explained. Loved the whole article! Many thanks!

12:51 AM

 
Anonymous pogledaj said...

Very well written. You got every point explained. Loved the whole article! Many thanks!

4:39 AM

 
Anonymous tourist playground said...

This is a wonderful content. I will bookmark this site and visit again. It is very informative. Thanks for sharing.

3:15 AM

 
Anonymous oranum psychic readings said...

Excellent post is written here. I want to thank you for this informative read. I will bookmark this site and visit again..

5:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home